Birmingham City Council’s Cemeteries and Crematoria

The Birmingham City Council's Bereavement Services Section manages 11 cemeteries and 3 crematoria, covering approximately 450 acres of land. The burial and cremation registers consist of approximately 1.5 million historical records. The records up to 2014 have been digitised and are being made available for genealogical research purposes within this website. With approximately 5,300 cremations and 2,300 burials being carried out each year, the burial and cremation records are constantly increasing. If you are looking for records that are more recent than those that are held within this database, then please contact the relevant cemetery or crematorium office for more information.

CEMETERIES


BRANDWOOD END CEMETERY (Administered from Kings Norton Cemetery)

Opened in 1899 by the Kings Norton and Northfield Urban District Council and taken over by the Birmingham City Council on the extension of the City in 1911. The cemetery consists of an area of 53 acres and houses a Grade II listed chapel. The chapel, which was damaged by fire in the early 1990's, is closed to the public.

  • Address:
  • Woodthorpe Road, Kings Heath, Birmingham, B14 6EQ
  • Telephone/Fax:
  • 0121 303 5583/0121 441 5365

HANDSWORTH CEMETERY

Area 68 acres. Opened in 1909 by Handsworth Urban District Council and taken over by the Birmingham City Council on the extension of the City in 1911. The cemetery consists of 68 acres, which includes a Grade I listed chapel. The cemetery chapel was opened in 1910 and was designed by the famous architect, William Bidlake and stands on an elevated position in the centre of Handsworth Cemetery.

  • Address:
  • Oxhill Road, Handsworth, Birmingham, B21 8JT
  • Telephone/Fax:
  • 0121 464 0096 / 0121 515 1522

KEY HILL CEMETERY (Administered from Handsworth Cemetery)

Area 7 acres. Opened in 1836 by the Birmingham General Cemetery Company Ltd. and acquired by the Birmingham City Council under a compulsory purchase order in 1952. No new graves available.

  • Address:
  • Icknield Street, Hockley, Birmingham, B18 6PL

KINGS NORTON CEMETERY

Opened in 2004 by the Birmingham City Council.

  • Address:
  • Longdales Road, Kings Norton, Birmingham, B38 9BU
  • Telephone/Fax:
  • 0121 303 5583 / 0121 459 8284

LODGE HILL CEMETERY

Area 61 acres. Opened in 1895 by the King's Norton and Northfield Urban District Council and taken over by the Birmingham City Council on the extension of the City in 1911. No new graves available.

  • Address:
  • Woeley Park Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham, B29 5AA
  • Telephone/Fax:
  • 0121 675 7970 / 0121 415 5015

QUINTON CEMETERY

Area 51 acres. Opened in 1923 by the Birmingham City Council.

  • Address:
  • Halesowen Road, Halesowen, West Midlands, B62 9AF
  • Telephone/Fax:
  • 0121 303 7043 / 0121 423 2958

SUTTON COLDFIELD CEMETERY (Administered from Sutton Coldfield Crematorium)

Old Part: Area 7 acres. Opened in 1881 by the Burial Board for the Parish of Holy Trinity whose powers and duties were transferred to Sutton Coldfield Borough Council. No new graves available.

  • Address:
  • Rectory Road, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, B75 7RP
  • Telephone/Fax:
  • 0121 464 3812 / 0121 378 4085

SUTTON NEW HALL CEMETERY (Administered from Sutton Coldfield Crematorium)

Opened in 2002 by the Birmingham City Council.

  • Address:
  • Lindridge Road, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, B75 7HR
  • Telephone/Fax:
  • 0121 464 3812 / 0121 378 4085

WARSTONE LANE CEMETERY (Administered from Handsworth Cemetery)

Area 7 acres. Opened in 1848 by the Birmingham Church of England Cemetery Company and acquired by the Birmingham City Council under a compulsory purchase order in 1951. No new graves available.

  • Address:
  • Warstone Lane, Hockley, Birmingham, B18 6NN

WITTON CEMETERY

Area 103 acres. Opened in 1863 by the Birmingham Borough Council. NO new graves available.

  • Address:
  • Moor Lane, Witton, Birmingham, B6 7AE
  • Telephone/Fax:
  • 0121 303 4363 / 0121 331 1283

YARDLEY CEMETERY

Area 64 acres. Opened in 1883 by the Burial Board for the Parish of Yardley, and taken over from the Yardley Rural District Council by the Birmingham City Council on the extension of the City in 1911. No new graves available.

  • Address:
  • Yardley Road, South Yardley, Birmingham, B25 8NA
  • Telephone/Fax:
  • 0121 675 8825 / 0121 706 9142

CREMATORIA

LODGE HILL CREMATORIUM

Opened in 1937 by the Birmingham City Council and extended in 1959. Situated in the grounds of Lodge Hill Cemetery.

  • Address:
  • Weoley Park Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham, B29 5AA
  • Telephone/Fax:
  • 0121 675 7970 / 0121 415 5015

SUTTON COLDFIELD CREMATORIUM

Opened in 1964 by the Sutton Coldfield Borough Council. Situated in 10 acres of grounds.

  • Address:
  • Tamworth Road, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, B75 6LG
  • Telephone/Fax:
  • 0121 464 3812 / 0121 323 2837

YARDLEY CREMATORIUM

Opened in 1952 by the Birmingham City Council. Situated in the grounds of Yardley Cemetery.

  • Address:
  • Yardley Road, South Yardley, Birmingham, B25 8NA
  • Telephone/Fax:
  • 0121 675 8825 / 0121 706 9142